Pages

dimanche 4 octobre 2015

Subliminal message

Lea gave me a book to read, and I think there was a subliminal message. It's called " La femme parfaite est une connasse". The whole book is a succession of small texts about how no one is "the perfect woman", the one we see in films and magazine or on pinterest. The book describes this legendary creature of the woman who is polite, kind, stylish, cooks her meals from locally grown vegetables she bought from a solidarity market, the one who's nails and hair are always perfect, but it looks effortless, etc.
And Lea said "sometimes, you remind me of her". Apparently, I am sort of a Connasse. which sounds quite true, since, indeed, I try my best to get closer to an ideal I gave myself as a goal. So yeah, sure, I try to eat sort of healthy (well, to eat, which is a good start, somewhat regularly, which is something and sort of healthy, which is quite a challenge when living in China.) And It's true, I know how to do many things. I am not an expert, but I can somewhat sew, or knit, or write, things like that. I just try to learn as many things as possible. It was after all part of my education: those who raised me wanted me to be an independent woman, with many skills and talents. Some are more unexpected than other. I learnt more than what my initial lady-like education foresaw for me. I watched and learn as many things as possible and tried to give myself as many tools to succeed in life and give myself as many opportunities as possible. And apparently, as I learn more, I remind Lea of the Connasse, the one that can do anything and everything. Is it such a bad thing?

It seems to surprise quite a lot of people how many skills you can accumulate in 24 years. I tried as many things as possible, and it made me grow and helped me built myself.
I met a friend of Lea and Carine and she seemed properly astonished of what I had done in 24 years, and I felt quite self  conscious, being the weird kid again. She teased me about it, asking what I couldn't do, as if my abilities were somewhat fake or not to be taken seriously. She didn't intend to be mean or anything, but it sort of hurt anyway. Being the know-it-all, the weirdo that one don't really take seriously. "you can't really do all these things, right". I didn't feel legitimate, whatever I was doing. It felt like I was cheating, since people seemed to consider that it should be hard of require work and effort and time. To me it felt natural, and somewhat evident. I learn practical things by watching people, without really thinking about it. I study because it's easy and because it helps me keep busy. I don't see it as a special gift or talent. I just learn. It's me. the compulsive learner. So since I never had to put a real effort on it, it felt fake.

Then I realized that I can't do anything about it. I did learn all these things. I didn't have to work a lot, maybe, but I had the curiosity and the right mindset. I couldn't prevent me from doing it, for the life of me! Then why should I me the one feeling inadequate and and fake? why should I be self conscious about learning skills by just watching people.
My awesome twin has been saying it for quite a while, but I guess it needed some time to sink in.
Yeah, I can speak several language, and I can sew, and cook, and knit, and make furniture, and cut hair, and write books, and run 10 kilometers in less than an hour, and I can dance, and I can sing, and I play the violin, and the cello, and so many other things. I'm no expert, sure, but I can do all these things.
doesn't make me less legit than people who took years to learn it. It doesn't make me a weirdo, just a somewhat skilled girl.
I guess it will take some time to sink in, but I don't intend on stopping learning things, and I will definitely not blush about it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire