Pages

dimanche 11 octobre 2015

Social interactions

So yesterday evening, Lea invited her friends to celebrate her birthday, and my arrival and our new flat. We planned for 25 people and cooked all day.
I was a bit nervous about that: I am, after all quite an introvert and the idea to have 25 people in what I came to consider my new home was scary. I had already met most of Lea's friends, Some nice thai girls and their friends.
We invited people for 20:30. The first one arrived a bit before 22:00 and some arrived past midnight. only 15 people came, which doesn't reward Lea for cooking for so many people.
As I said, I already knew Lea's Thai friends. They are fun folk. Extraverts, always laughing, loud and full of life. They like to drink and dance and have fun.
The girls were having a tequila/lemon/salt challenge. They love drinking games. That's their way to get drunk and be happy and have a good time. I have been slightly sick for a couple of days, must have caught a cold, and I don't like drinking for the sake of it, since I can't enjoy the effects of alcohol. So I just kept on drinking Earlgrey. What's the point of being at your own place if you can't drink what you want? I prefer a good mug of hot earlgrey that a glass of poor gin. And apparently, that made quite a fuss. The girls pushed and kept on offering me some drinks, no matter how I told them that I didn't see the point. To them, the only way to have fun is to get drunk. And apparently, they took it as a personal challenge to make me drink and get drunk. I had to refuse at least a hundred times, and each time, they asked why, and my answers were never good enough for them. Refusing to get drunk because you don't see the point is not enough. Because you're sick is not enough. They let go for a moment and then come back ten minutes later with another glass. Saying no is easy, but it get tiring after a while. They'll be wasting their time and energy. I'm patient and stubborn. I don't drink much if I don't feel comfortable with people. And I was definitely not at ease.
Some of the guests were friends of friends, and didn't even bother to come and say hi to their host, they came and sat, and talked to their friends. According to Lea, it's common from Thai boys. It's a bit frustrating to be in your own space and yet feeling utterly out of place.
Social interactions and noise tire me extremely fast, and that's not something they really understand.
They like to be drunk to dance in nightclubs and to laugh loudly. I like quiet evening, talking about the world out there, drinking good wine with some friends. We have nothing in common. They are nice and polite and kind, but we don't like the same things.
At 02:00 am they decided to leave, to continue their evening in a nightclub. Lea stayed at the flat because she had to wake up at 06:00 am to go to work. And I didn't go because I don't like nightclubs. it was late and I was exhausted. The noise, the agitation, the social interactions, plus me being sick meant that I had no intention on going anywhere. I've been called a granny and a spoil sport.
It sort of hurt. I usually laugh about it, but is it that weird to rather enjoy a peaceful evening alone or in a small comity than having some wild fun with twenty people I barely know. I need to get to know people. To understand them, to have something to talk about with them.
I knew where I was going when I left France for Wuhan, and I don't regret it even a second. I just look forward finding my own crowd here, the local weirdos, those who love books and writing and studying and knitting. I'll find them.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire