Pages

mercredi 23 septembre 2015

China - Two days after arrival

Oh good lord! I can't believe only arrived two days ago. It feels like a week already. (Because of the way brain register more information on something that is new to it and it's way to process everything give the impression that time is passing slowly.)
My registration at Wuhan University is almost done, thank to Lea, who helped me throughout the process. China is a bureaucracy and you've no idea the amount of paper involved in my registration.
That was yesterday's program: my registration, and then going to the supermarket so I can buy the basic necessities that I couldn't put in my luggage (a mug, some pillows, etc etc)
And today I went to my first class!
Lea had negotiated for me to be in an intermediary class, saying that I'd die of boredom in the beginners' class. It was a nice idea... but definitely not a good one!
I haven't practiced my Chinese in two years, after I passed my first year of Chinese under-graduation. with my marketing master degree and all the rest I hadn't time to keep on working on it, so... I sort of lost most of my Chinese.
So this was a complete failure! I tried, and the result is crystal clear. I don't have the level.
I took 10% of the class, maybe slightly more. I couldn't read most of the characters of the text we studied and felt utterly stupid. which was not pleasant. At all.
I don't often lose faith in what I can do, but in there, I understood that if I stayed in that class, there was no way I could make real progress. I'd just get drowned while the rest of the class goes on.
So the smart move is to change class, go for a lower level, to strengthen the basis, put all the odds on my side, work as hell to make sure I'll go back in the intermediary class next semester feeling like I own the place.
So it will be a studious semester! I finally have a nice challenge to feed my brain with and you've no idea how I missed it!

my life for the next weeks

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire