Pages

samedi 26 mars 2016

Some funny stories about Ancient philosophy

So, new semester, new MOOC. I am allegedly addicted to those weird distant classes on impossibly random subject, and I am not sure I can deny.
So, I signed up for an "Ancient Philosophy - Plato and his predecessors" class.
And OH GOOD LORD, 2500 years later, Philosophy is still awesomely fun.
Let me give you some examples:

There's a guy, Hyppolitus of Rome (170 - 235 BCE), who wrote a book "the refutation of all heresies", in which he refutes all pagan philosophies, because... because. The guy was a christian bishop, and he didn't really like those philosophical treaties, so he made a book about it.
The thing is, that the books and treaties that the ancient philosophers wrote has been lost through history and because how do you want to salvage ancient books and lore when humans have trouble remembering where they put their damn car keys five minutes ago.
Anyway, the original books are lost and have been so for a millennia or two. So finding honest  and complete historical sources from this time is a pain.
why am I telling you this? Remember the guy who wanted to  refute all the ancient philosophies because it was heretical and so on? Well, this guy's book ended up being one of the most prominent historical source in the preservation and diffusion of the ancient philosophy.
Call it Kharma or Irony, but as dead as he is, I think Hyppolitus might be pissed.

Another funny story:
So there was this guy, Heraclitus (540 BCE) who was called the Riddler because his work had a reputation to be obscure, complex and full of paradoxes.
To give you an Idea of how complicated we are talking about, let me quote Socrates talking about Heraclitus' book; "The parts I understood were very impressive and so wer the parts I didn't understand".
So basically, Socrates says "sounds great, butI couldn't get everything, the thing is damn complicated"

In short, I am having fun.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire