Pages

mercredi 17 janvier 2018

Mixed feelings

I am, mostly an English teacher.
I teach to 5 classes in 3 different levels, 1 of them preparing a national exam.
I stand in front of the kids 22 hours a week.
A full time position as a teacher is 18 hours.
As a young teacher, I don't have any previous class to rely on. I have to create everything, try to make it interesting, make sure the eldest are ready for their graduation exams.
Finding documents, checking how I can use them, create the progression, including some cultural and grammatical items to learn, imagine tasks and activities. Create evaluation tests and correct the papers.
On the side, there is the novel I wrote that needs editing, the novel I am currently writing, the novel I should be co-writing,
And all the engagements I took with the scouts.
There are the ballet classes (good thing I'm not doing Rhythmic gymnastics anymore. I don't know how I could have fitted the competitions in all that.)

My studies come on top of all that. After everything is done, when I have a moment, it's dedicated to studying.
9 subjects to read.
a few papers to write
7 exams to pass,
the 250 hours of internship to follow,
and the master thesis.

So basically, I came to my exams unprepared. I have entirely read 2 of the classes (but none of their additional reading material) and read only the first pages of the rest.
I was not ready. I am not ready.
I rely on quick thinking, stuff I know from my personal readings or from previous studies, general knowledge and culture. I am good at that. but it doesn't erase the fact that I am not ready.
It worked last year. and the year before. I passed all my exams in one semester, on the first try.
But every time, I have this nagging feeling of guilt.
Do I really deserve the degrees, even if I didn't actually work to get them? Do I have any legitimacy in coming to those exams if I got the previous ones only by accident? Can I be legit in my work as a teacher despite passing my exams like this?

But this year there is another feeling creeping up on me:
Is it too much this time?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire