Pages

samedi 14 novembre 2015

We had forgotten

We had forgotten that the world is at war. We lived in our bubble, thinking that it couldn't happen to us. And we were wrong.
We were protected by our luck, to be born in the right country, where we could go to bed at night without being afraid or being killed by a bomb during the night.
We were safe because people are keeping us safe. doing their job, doing their best, so we could stay safe. We were so lucky some of us didn't understood what it meant to be at war. to flee your country because you fear for your life.
But we are not so lucky anymore.
I used to live in Paris. To take the metro everyday. And I remember wondering "how long before our peaceful existence ends?"
Last night, terrorist killed some people. That's it. People who only believe in violence to gain power over their fellow humans. They are not Muslims, they are not of any nationality. They are children of a sick sad world and they only believe in Power and Violence.
I am sad. Oh I am so sad. Sad because no one deserved that. Sad because people died, because families are grieving, because it hurt to be forced to accept reality. the world is at war and it has been for years.
And I am afraid. Oh so afraid. I am afraid that it will never stop, that other people will die, that innocent lives will be wasted. I am afraid of people idiocy and lack of judgement. I am afraid that people will ask for blood to clean blood. I am afraid of those who call for revenge and for more violence. I am afraid for those who will be wronged because assimilated to those who hurt us, when they are just as afraid, just as sad and just as innocent as the rest of you.
I don't live in Paris anymore, but my family and friends still live there. At 6 this morning, My flatmate Lea came to wake me up, telling me to check on my folk. We listened to the radio, looked for more information, waiting for our friends and family to give us a sign, to tell us they were okay. And the French student sent each other messages, to check on each other. None of us lost anyone.
Does it feel reassuring? Yes. We are not grieving. But people died last night. People I didn't know and will never know. People who should have lived. People who had a name, a live, a situation, who were sons and daughters, maybe fathers and mothers. People died.
I am afraid for the future.
And yet, I am hopeful.
Because I know there are good people out there. Who will answer to those atrocities with kindness and patience. People who will teach kids that violence is born from hatred and ignorance and that we should be able to talk to each other instead of killing each other. People who will help the helpless and who will give their blood and sweat and to make this world a better place.
I wish people would be more tolerant and think twice before calling for blood. I wish people would be decent enough to let the dead rest in peace and the living grieve. I wish we would stop being so mean.
Be safe, people. Be tolerant and patient and take care of yourself and of those you love.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire